Sunday, August 2, 2009

August 1, 2009 snow and climb


Mt Belford


Missouri Mountain

Mt Belford and Mt Oxford Stats:
Missouri Gulch Trail Head (9,650 feet)
Mt Belford, 14,197 feet
Mt Oxford, 14,153 feet
Total Elevation Gain: 5,800 feet
Round Trip Total: 11 miles
Camp to Camp time: 0430 start 1430 finish, 10 hours total
Trail Head to camp at 11,500 feet, approx 2.5 miles, and 2 hours up and 1.5 hours down

After a record cool week here in the springs, I knew that the weather up high would be more September like. We left the springs around 3pm on friday, July 31st, amist heavy and dark clouds that were dumping large amounts of rain on the city and the adjanct mountains. Once we arrived in South Park, the skies had cleared and only a few small cumulus clouds dotted the western horizon. Great weather looked to be in store and high pressure seemed to be building. After packing up and readying ourselves at the trail head, we began hiking at 6pm. Not 5 minutes into the hike, rumble..... and then another rumble...... Where did this come from? It had been clear and no signs of a storm coming. The thunder got louder and the clouds above seemed to be moving our way. We elected to postpone our trek in for a few minutes to wait out the weather, and it was a good thing. As we sat in comfort of the Jeep, rain and hail pelted the windshield. Lightning danced among the ridges and valleys. As soon as it had started, it ended abrubtly; leaving a double rainbow across the valley.

The hike now could begin again. It is a fairly short hike up to treeline at 11,000 feet. But, along that hike, a lot of elevation must be gained, which could only mean one thing.... switchbacks! Those nasty devils in discuise. It is not mandatory to climb up them, but the only alternative is to stay at home in the comfort of ones lazy boy! So, I suppose you could say, that there really is no other choice in the matter. One must go up, so that one can come down.


An old miners cabin from the late 1800's right at treeline, 11,200 feet.


Mt Belford near our camp.


Upper Missouri Gulch.

We arrived at a decent camping area around 830pm as the sunlight began to fade into the darkness of night. Tents sprang up and supper was served. Well, as served as Ramen can be served! While eating supper, around 930pm, above the ridge to the north, tall anvils of thunderheads began to take shape. Lightning could be see shooting across the towering clouds. With the little bit of remaining light disappearing, I could see the clouds begin to roll over into our valley. It was like a huge wave toppeling over into the dark abyss below. It was time to get into bed and try to sleep through the coming storm. For the next 45 minutes the wind howled and the precipitation pelted my tent. I am not sure if it was hail, sleet, or just hard rain; but it was pretty loud. With the lightning striking very near to our campsite, my tent would light up like it was daytime. I think that I was too tired to worry about a direct hit, but what could I have done differently if I was to worry?

I don't remember much else from that night, other than being awakened by headlamps and voices outside my tent telling me to get up! It was now 4am. After a quick oatmeal bar, our long day could begin. Our headlamps lit the way up the trail as night slowly turned into day. It became apparant early on that the mountains around us had a fresh coat of snow on them.


Missouri with a fresh coat of snow.


About 1/4 of the way up Belford looking at the fresh August snow.


Missouri


Mt Hope in the distance.


The two mountain goats, Dave and Paul.

As the sun rose higher into the sky, the alpenglow began to shine on the eastern slopes of the surrounding ridges and mountains. I wish that I would have stopped longer to take more pictures, but with the 30F temperature and 30+ mph winds, it was quite cold. It definately felt like winter, eventhough it was only August 1st!




Mt Hope






La Plata Peak, my 1st 14er.


Reaching the snowline around 13,000 feet.


In Belford's shadow, while Missouri enjoys the sunshine.




This is what winter looks like in August. Wildflowers covered with fresh snow.





The trail is still evident, but the wind chill is much more apparant.




Missouri in all of her majesty.


Elkhead Pass and Missouri Basin, very remote part of the Sawatch.


Still in the cold shadow,


Just a little bit further!


Sometimes you just have to turn around and look back at what you've already accomplished. Somewhere below in the valley to the left is camp, and even further down is the trail head.


Almost there!


Are we there yet?


Mt Belford summit, 14,197 feet, at 815am. The wind was much stronger on top, directly out of the north. Missouri is behind my left shoulder.

I knew that my time on Belford would be short, so I added a few layers of clothing, ate a quick bite, and drank as much as possible. About that time the 2 way radio buzzed. "Jerry? How ya doing?" It was Paul! They were reaching the saddle between Belford and Oxford, see the next picture. Somewhere , way down there, I would soon be not only once, but twice. Belford was just one mountain to climb out of the three that I would have to climb to make my way back to camp. Time is short, and I must continue my journey!


From Belford's summit looking southeast towards the ridge over to Oxford. One of those tiny spots on the saddle is Dave and Paul, as they begin their climb up to Oxford.


High up on Oxfords West ridge. Is this the summit? Dave and Paul can be seen as they are headed back down.


Same place as the picture above. Looking back down the ridge and over to Belford. You can see the entire route from the Belford summit to Oxford.


I thought that was the summit, but no....I still have more climbing to do! The Oxford summit is now in view.


Mt Oxford summit, 14,153, with Belford behind me, approx. 1030am. That's the number 2 14er summit for today!

The next series is from the summit of Oxford.

Looking Northeast towards Leadville and Twin Lakes.


Looking North towards Elbert and Massive.


Looking Northwest, towards La Plata, and the Elk Range


Looking westerly, Belford is in the foreground.


West again, but the ridge traverse is in full view. To get back to camp, I must downclimb 1,000 feet to the saddle and then climb back up 1,000 feet to Belford's summit again, and then descend the other side of Belford. It will take quite a bit of work to get back to where I was at 2 hours earlier.


Looking Southwest into Missouri Basin, Emerald Peak is the pyrmid shaped mountain.


Mt Harvard, another 14er. Access to this side of Harvard is via a very long 16 mile trek up the unmaintained Pine Creek trail.


A closer look at the seldom visited North face of Harvard.

I spent about 30 minutes on the summit of Oxford, before the relentless wind convinced me to begin my long trek back to camp. I would traverse the easy class 2 ridge back to Belford and summit her for the 2nd time that day. And then descend the Southwest shoulder of Belford back into Missouri Gulch and eventually to camp. I reached the Belford summit around 1230 for the second time. And back into camp by 1430. It was a very long day! We reached the trail head at 1630, about 12 hours after we had left camp that morning. As I journey up more mountains, the hunger for altitude bekons stronger and stronger. It is never soon enough before another trip begins. But, it is all to often that one ends. I remind myself that as one ends, another is beginning! May one's journeys be safe and climb on!


One last look at Missouri.


I really liked this view.

No comments: