Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall in Colorado, Mt Yale attempt

Well, it looks like fall has finally arrived and is planning on sticking around for awhile now. No more of those 80F days. Over the past several weeks, storm after storm has pounded the high country, but it has always been followed by a dry, warm spell; melting all the fresh snow. But, now it seems that the new snow will be sticking around! Maybe this will make a great base for our winter snowpack. Down here in the springs, we have already had a taste of early winter. Last week we had our first freeze and snow of the season! And it was in September! Boy, am I ready for it.

Last weekend was suppose to be a weekend of climbs. But as the ball rolled on, it seemed that nothing was accomplished. I had originally planned on to hike in to Horn Fork basin below Mt Harvard on friday after work, then make a climb up Harvard on saturday am, eventually leaving the sawatch range that afternoon for the elks. Thoughts of Castle Peak loomed in my mind throughout the week and into the weekend, for that was going to be the climb of climbs for me. I looked forward to a weekend full of climbing! What happened? As work often lingers beyond the time it is suppose to, fridays can never be early, nor can I ever get off in time for anything on that day. Thursday brought a slow day at work and thus I was at home by 11am, hoping that the next day would follow it's lead. I should have known better.

By the time 130pm on friday came around, it was too late to try to drive somewhere and then hike in 3 to 3.5 miles and set up camp before dark. I'd be lucky to have camp set by 9pm, roughly 2.5 hours after sunset. Now, I had to come up with a "plan B", and quick! Mount Princeton looked to be good climb and warm up to Castle Peak. Ok, I've got a mountain in mind, now what? I wanted to start the climb a little bit before sunrise, so that I could maximize my day, and enjoy a glorious sunrise above treeline. 430am seemed doable, but I still would have to drive 2-1/2 hours from home to get there in the middle of the night. Doable? Well, maybe.


The alarm went off at 245am. I struggled to crawl out of bed and gather myself up. I arrived at Buena Vista at 445am, and was bound and determined to get lost on the road to the trail head. I made wrong turn after wrong turn, eventually getting frustrated enough to call it quits. Now what? I suppose I had better make a "plan C"! Mount Yale is not too far away, and I know where the trail head is! It was 545am when I pulled into the Denny Creek parking lot, the trail head for Yale. The morning air had become quite cold as the first indications of a new day began to illuminate the eastern skies. I made a quick check of gear and headed up the trail. It was a cool hike, although most would think that 30F is cold, it is relative to the energy output needed to climb nearly 4500 vertical feet all the way to the top.


The first 2 miles gains very little elevation, as it follows Denny Creek up into the deep forest. Emerging from treeline, the wind really began to pick up in earnest; making a cold wind chill, roughly around 15F. I've got to get on a little soap box here about the trail. Up until this point, the trail was a very nice, well maintained trail; but once above the trees, the trail became quite steep, practically straight uphill, on a very loose dirt patch. It was nasty! Up, and up it went. Upon cresting each hill, another steep, straight section of trail would loom over me, as a thorn to my side! The mountain was laughing, as I was struggling to maintain composure. I took a break, and put on more clothes, ate some snacks, and drank water.

Contemplating the never ending dirt patch to the ridge, I was puzzled at what I should do. There were quite a few other groups of climbers ahead of me, the weather was clear and a million, but I was spent, cold, and utterly exhausted. I wasn't sure if I would have any energy left over for another climb on the following day. The decision was not one to come quickly. I fought within my deepest self, to find any reserves left to help push me over the top. But, each time I searched my soul, I would find cold emptiness. The weekend was half over, and I felt I was in a fight with a Spainish bull, and was loosing the battle.

The look of defeat is never a beautiful sight. As I made plans for a retreat, I began snapping pictures, as a reminder of a mountain that persisted to be unclimbed. I could bare no more, as her walls were too much for the wounded warrior. I felt terrible after putting such a strong fight just to get to 13,000 feet, and 3.25 miles, only 1200 feet and 1 mile short of the summit.











The Three Apostles to the Northwest.













West towards the snowy Elk Mountains. Tomorrows destination?














Cottonwood Creek valley and the trailhead below.












Upper Cottonwood Creek.














Mount Yale Southeast Ridge and more mountains beyond.













Mount Princeton, another 14er, this mornings early plan to climb, but I couldn't find the right road in the middle of the night!












A close up of the remainder of the route up to the ridge proper. It is much steeper than it appears.









After an hour and half decent, I was back at my truck stripping off layer, upon layer of clothing and insulation from the cold tundra above. I packed my belongings, and picked myself up from defeat, and headed into town for a nice hot meal. K's Dairy Mart, was on the horizon. A #2 please, no onions, and a large Coke! Oh Boy! Nothing like a fat double cheeseburger with bacon, complimented with fries and a Coke to wash my blues away. I made a few phone calls to fellow climbers concerning a climb of Castle the next day. The weather report did not look too good, and I felt like crap. The next horizon will take me back home to the reality of Colorado Springs and to my loving family. Castle will have to wait for another day, more than likely a day next spring!

No comments: